We have noticed an unusual artefact on some lists after upgrading a SharePoint 2007 site to 2010. The “+ Add new item” link that, in SharePoint 2010, appears at the bottom of a list display does not appear on some lists but does on others. I did some investigation of this and all I can suggest is that it seems to be an artefact of the migration process. If you create a new view on the list it will have the “+ Add new item” link even when the other views don’t. New lists created under 2010 will always have it. I can’t see the exact reason as to why this occurs on some migrated lists and not others but if you follow this process you can get it to reappear:
- Go to the list that is lacking the link
- Select the view that doesn’t have the link appearing
- Select Edit Page from the Site Action menu
- Edit the list web part properties
- Note the current Toolbar setting
- Change the Toolbar setting and click Apply. Any selection other than No Toolbar should cause the link to appear after you click Apply.
- Reset the Toolbar setting to that noted in 5 and click Apply again. The link should be appearing correctly.
- If you need to do this for additional views on the list select the view from the Selected View pull down menu and repeat steps 5 to 7 for each view.
- When complete click the OK button and then click the Stop Editing button in the page ribbon.