Tag Archives: SharePoint 2010 Business Intelligence Center

Cube Deploy error…OLE DB or ODBC error: Operation canceled; HY008

My focus recently has been in the Business Intelligence workload of SharePoint. This has seen me involved in building OLAP cubes in SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS). All has been going well until I recently made a change to a couple of the dimensions and when I tried to perform a Deploy I started receiving this error “OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Operation canceled; HY008.” associated with a number of the dimensions. If I tried running a process on the entire project things seemed ok but as soon as I cam back to the Deploy I hit the error again. The frustrating thing about trying to resolve this :

  • First, this error doesn’t really give you a single place to start looking. Its hard to even tell from the output window in Visual Studio 2012, which, if any, dimensions the error is associated with.
  • Last, there are plenty of references to this exact error online (e.g. timeouts etc.) but not a lot of answers and the answers I found don’t seem to relate to my circumstances.

The only potential clue I had was one warning line after each of the errors that referenced the a field in the dimension.  I have found there are a lot of referential integrity errors across the tables and databases that make up the data source view (DSV) and turns out there were nulls in some of the fields that potentially have caused the problem.  I went through where I could and created named queries to replace the tables in the DSV in an attempt to reduce possible referential integrity issues and also trim down the data to main focus of the BI work. However there was still a long list of errors when I attempted to deploy.  After a lot of trial and error I found that in my situation the following process enabled my to over come the HY008 error!

  1. For each field in each dimension delete the field and add it back in again. This may mean you have to rebuild the hierarchy and relationship in the dimension. In at least one case I had to completely delete the dimension and rebuild it from scratch.
  2. Once you are happy with each dimension process the given dimension (not the whole cube).

I found after I had done this for each dimension referenced in the error output list I still had to process the overall cube (right-click on the cube in the project explorer in Visual Studio 2012 and select Process).

Once the cube processing complete successfully I was then able to perform the Deploy.

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under Business Intelligence, General SharePoint Development

Problems Deploying Reports to Business Intelligence Center

Encountered a strange problem the other day. I’m working in a freshly installed and configured SharePoint/Project Server 2010 development environment attempting to deploy a handful of pre-existing SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS) using the Business Intelligence Studio (BIS) which I’ve installed on the same server as SRSS is installed. Both were installed from SQL Server 2008 R2 Standard Edition media.

I updated the BIS project properties to reflect the development environment configuration as well as the connection properties to point at the relevant development reporting services database. The project compiles successfully but when I select deploy for the project from within BIS I receive the following prompt for login credentials and it doesn’t seem to matter if I use the farm account  or the admin account it keeps prompting and wont allow deployment. I’ve tried with and without the domain prefix on the account and it makes no difference.

I’ve tried a number of things to try to get past this such as.

  • Verifying that the accounts I’m are using are Site Collection Admin in PWA
  • Verifying that SSRS Integration is fully setup in Central Admin

In the end I have been unable to get past this problem so I’ve manually worked around the issue using the following approach:

  • Load copies of the Shared Data Connection files (.rsds) in the Business Intelligence Center Data Connections library
  • Edit the connection properties using the drop down menu on each file loaded such that it points at the development database if it is different for the development environment
  • Load copies of each of the Reports (.rdl) files into the Reports library in the Business Intelligence Center
  • For each report loaded update the Shared Data Connection to point at the newly updated .rsds files as appropriate.

This enabled me to get the reports working but hasn’t solved my problem with being asked to authenticate when attempting to deploy the reports from within BIS! If I work that one out I’ll post an update 🙂

 

Leave a comment

Filed under Project Server 2010, SharePoint 2010